Monday, December 16, 2013

Residency permit and a cup of tea

Well, I'm official.
I have my Carte Se Jour.  I can legally stay in the country for 1 year…scratch that, my card says until July 2, 2014.  Then I have to re-apply.  It took almost 5 months for me to actually receive it.

Going to the Prefecture is daunting.  I have been there three times since moving.  The initial visit was to file my paperwork requesting my residency permit.  the second visit was to ask for an extension because my temporary visa was expiring and I hadn't yet received my carte se jour.  The first two times I was accompanied by Joëlle.  She is a French national who has a real estate business and also does some work for our relocation company.  Because she is a French national, she can enter before all of the "etrangers".  She scoops up the first number and our wait time is minimal.  Both previous visits were less than 5 minute waits.

She doesn't do this for FREE, so I decided that I could do it on my own this time.  I knew that I had to go to the "foreigner" kiosk and get a number.  Then I would have to wait for them to call my number, present my paperwork and pick up my card.  What I didn't know was that when I selected "etranger" at the kiosk that I would get two options.  That immediately threw me, not gonna lie, I almost said, "let's just go get Jöelle".

My options were "depôt dossier"(deposit file) and "retrait"(withdrawal).  There were people lined up behind me, so I had to choose quickly.  I assumed since I "had" a file, that this was my option.


Piece of cake.  I was only going to have to wait about 15 minutes.  I pulled out my daily devotional and opened my bible app on my phone and set about waiting.  My number flashed on the screen and I went to the appropriate window.  I gave the clerk my number, I apologized that my French was not good and then handed her my paperwork. I knew I was in trouble when she started shaking her head no.  She didn't speak English and rattled off something in French.  I assumed that it had something to do with me being in the wrong line and pointed to the kiosk.  She nodded in agreement.

SOOOOO, I went back to the kiosk and selected the other option…."Retrait".  I was again given two different options.  The first one I couldn't understand at all and the second one mentioned "se jour", so I selected that one

Okay, so my NEW wait time was 45 minutes.  If this was the wrong line, I was giving up.  Fortunately,  the wait was more like 35 minutes.  I went up to my window and did the whole "apologize for not speaking good French" thing, handed the clerk my number and my file and waited. DING DING DING.  JACKPOT.  I was in the right place.  There was a brief moment of panic when she asked me something that I didn't understand and then pointed to another kiosk…..fortunately, I finally understood that she wanted my "stamps"….160 Euro worth!!  It took about 5 minutes and I received my card.  

My other highlight for the week was going to a "tea party".  We have a very fancy tea house here in Strasbourg called "Au fond du Jardin" (In the garden).  It is very difficult to get a reservation…in fact, I saw several people walk in and there weren't any openings until after Christmas.  Fortunately, the Americans in Alsace group that I belong to made a reservation early in November and so I was able to experience my "tea journey".  

The owner is very enthusiastic about his tea.  Unfortunately, he speaks zero English and so I was unable to "keep up" with his very animated descriptions of the teas that were offered. Each customer gets their own "pot of tea", you get to select a madeleine and then there is a third course that includes chocolate. I selected the  "Christmas Tea" and it was delicious.  This tea house also has some hot chocolates that sound yummy, so I am excited to go back.

These were my tea companions, Jen, Rene and Barbara

This was our table before we started to eat, drink and be merry.

These were the madeleines that we chose.  A chocolate/orange, a cherry and a citrus.

This was the third course.  I'm surprised that my stomach isn't intruding on this picture….

I enjoyed the madeleines so much that I purchased four of them to send back to the states for David's family "Trim the Tree" gathering.  Luckily, the package arrived in the "Saint Nick" of time and they were able to enjoy them.  The owner of the tea house, Fred, has been to the White House several times (decorating for Christmas) and created special madeleines for the Clintons and most recently was hired to create a madeleine for the marriage of Prince William and Kate Middleton.

This may be my last entry for 2013.  We are head for Tenerife (Canary Islands) for Christmas and are excited that 2 of our 3 children will be joining us.  Merry Christmas to you and yours as you celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus.  May His joy fill your home during this holiday season!!









No comments:

Post a Comment