Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Big girl shoes

This past week has been fairly uneventful, but I have had the pleasure of visiting with many different people. An AIA coffee (Americans in Alsace), a coffee with wives of 2 Lilly employees (one from Italy, one from England) and I hosted a ladies' coffee with people from our church here in Strasbourg.  Those of you who know me well, will know that I really don't drink "coffee", I am more of a hot tea or hot chocolate kind of girl.  Not to shock your socks off, but I have actually sipped a few cups of coffee while I've been here in France.  Wow, right?
The AIA group…I was asked to "block the light", hence why my arm is up in the air.
During the fellowship time at these gatherings I am often asked about my day.  Do I work? Just "what" do I do all day?  Am I bored?  Do I like Strasbourg? etc.

No, I do not work "outside the home".  I have been blessed to be a "domestic engineer" for the last 23 years.  I have spent those years raising 3 children, taking care of a house and husband, spending tons of hours volunteering at various schools/churches and raising money for school programs/sporting teams. I did have a brief stint of selling Tupperware when we were in Ky.  (That was a total blast and I started it just to earn a little "lunch out" money and to have some "adult" conversation time when the kids were little.)

When I was a young lady fresh out of school you couldn't have convinced me that this was the life I would want.  After all, wasn't I voted "Most Likely to Succeed" by my peers?  Isn't the "understood" ending to that phrase "in the work force" or "according to the world's view"? I was an overachiever who wanted "more",  more than my parents had and certainly more than the average little girl growing up in Dayton, Ky could achieve.

Doesn't society teach us (and our children) that to be successful one must have a big house, a new car, all the latest fashions, an iPhone 5, a boat, lots of jewelry, and so on?  Unfortunately, many of us fall prey to that line of thought and spin our wheels trying to get there.

I have become so thankful for the "Midwest" culture that I have been surrounded by and my "low income" family upbringing.  Thanks be to God for allowing me to see through all the "stuff" and realize what the TRUE successes in my life have been.

  • a loving and hardworking husband
  • 3 beautiful, healthy children
  • a warm home and food on our table
  • parents who are still alive
  • siblings who I can count on in times of trouble
  • friends who love me no matter what
  • a one-way ticket to Heaven some day
As I tick through that list, other than a home and food, money isn't a factor.  Don't get me wrong, I have been blessed with a husband who is an excellent provider and that certainly makes life easier, but we seldom think in terms of "bigger or newer". We like being "regular people".

Woah, sorry about that soapbox moment!  I guess I better get to the reason for this entry's title.  As a "stay at home" mom/wife, I seldom have reason to dress up.  I'm really just a T-shirt and yoga pant kind of girl at heart.  I don't spend a lot of money on fashion, and if I do buy something new it generally has to pass a "comfortability" test, not a "fashionista" test.  (Sorry to make you cringe Lisa)

As a business leader here in Alsace, David is often invited to many social/business functions.  He typically attends those events by himself and so I get to stay in my yoga pants.  Last evening, however,  was an exception.  We were invited to a reception celebrating the "New Year" at the residence of the US Consul General.  

It's not often that a Ky girl mixes it up with a US diplomat, so I had to pull out the "little black dress" and a pair of "big girl shoes".  Not only did I perk up my daily wardrobe, but I actually took the time to curl my hair and apply make-up. (Thanks to my daughter, Sarah, for the "smokey eye" make-up lesson)

I am happy to announce that David noticed both and we were on our way.  Upon our arrival, David was immediately "cornered" by someone who wanted to do business with Lilly and so off I went to mingle. I met up with the president of the AIA (Americans in Alsace) organization whose name is Luther.  Luther happened to have been at the coffee with me last Thursday.  5 minutes into our conversation he said, "what's different? You have changed something" and then he added "it's a good change".  I laughed and said, "Thanks, Luther.  I curled my hair, put on some make-up and I'm wearing my 'big girl shoes' tonight."

Apparently, Luther has only seen me in my yoga pants with minimal make-up. It's always nice when a gay man offers you a compliment…you know he isn't trying to "hit on you", so it is always a genuine observation .  It was nice getting "dolled up", but I was certainly ready to get out of my shoes at the end of the night. I wonder if Cinderella's feet hurt when she was finished dancing at the ball?  


Wishing you all a reflective moment to celebrate your "successes".  Selfishly, I hope that our friendship will make your "list".  A bientôt !

No comments:

Post a Comment