Thursday, June 19, 2014

D-Day in Paris

Obama, the Queen and Putin are in Paris…..

Doesn't that sound like the start to some awful joke?  I thought so, but it turned out to be true and it altered our plans for an afternoon of sightseeing.  David had a business meeting in Paris and so I joined him.  We had planned to wander around the city after his meeting and then catch a late train back to Strasbourg.

When Obama, the Queen and Putin (among other world leaders) are in Paris, traffic is a nightmare.  All roads leading to/from the Arc de Triomphe were to be closed off and so we opted for an earlier train and poor David missed out.

All was not lost, as we did manage a late night run to the Trocadero before we turned in for the night.





We've had two houseguests for the past 4 days.  Two great young men from Harvard, Justin and Kevin.  Their acapella group "The Din and Tonics" are on an 8 week performance tour throughout Europe, Asia and Australia.  You can check out their Facebook page to see their schedule if you are interested.


We've enjoyed getting to know all the Harvard men who are here.  We went to dinner with them on Sunday night….allowing them to try the region's "pizza" or tarte flambé, took them to a pool party on Monday, enjoyed their performance on Tuesday night and then I will drive them to the train station today (Wednesday) as they set out for Paris.

They are traveling solo, no chaperone, making all of their own travel arrangements, coordinating arrivals/departures, rooming options, etc.  We are very impressed with their travel savvy.  I don't think that at 19 & 20 I could have managed traveling (planes/trains/trams) to another continent, let alone several.

Talk about a small world, one of the Dins, Will, is from Cincinnati….he and his family live about 3 miles from where David grew up.  We have loved having them in our apartment and will be sad to see them go.

I managed to lose my wallet after the pool party on Monday.   I noticed it wasn't where it was supposed to be and just assumed that I had forgotten it inside the car.  When I checked last night, it wasn't in the car.  I looked around again this morning inside the apartment and it was nowhere to be found.  I got online and checked the account activity for our Visa….yep, someone found it and had a merry little shopping spree at the shop next door to our apartment.  Fortunately, they were unable to withdraw any cash (although they certainly tried) and we aren't liable for any of the purchases.

So, I've spent quite a lot of time online this morning canceling my credit cards, ATM card and getting a replacement driver's license and insurance card.  I only confess this snafu to you all because I'm wondering if my 1 hour driving evaluation on Friday is going to happen.  The driving school has a copy of my American license, but I'm not sure if I will need to have an actual license with me on Friday.  I guess we will see!!

David is convinced that my driving is SO HORRIBLE that I will need more than one lesson…I am so hoping to prove him WRONG.  The driving "test" is the last hurdle to pass before I obtain my French driver's license.  The instructor will evaluate my "driving ability" and determine how many lessons I will need before I am scheduled to take the test. Cross your fingers for me!!

David's brother, Michael and his family arrive on Saturday.  I'm sure that we will have some fun times and that they will give me some blog material to share with you….maybe a post on how they manage to get to Paris and Normandy with the trains on strike.  Let's hope that an agreement is reached with the union before Monday!!

That's all for now.  Hoping that each of you have a blessed day.  Enjoy the sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment