Friday, September 12, 2014

What was lost is now found

What is a Saturday morning like for you?  Because David's alarm clock goes off well before 6am during the week, my Satrudays usually start much earlier than I would like them to. (Remember, I am an empty nester now…..yes, I've had my share of early Saturday wake ups to hustle to a sporting event)

This past Saturday was a "haircut" day for David.  Mercifully, that meant I was able to just lay in bed and browse through FaceBook and Instagram until he came back home.  It was a gorgeous day and so after he went for his short run (5 miles), he and I headed to the park for a walk.  We logged 4 miles and then decided to go on a bike ride so that we could continue enjoying the nice weather.

Remember me complaining about how painful long bike rides are?  No MORE!  I purchased each of us "biking apparel" while I was home and I am happy to report that those little pads are like floating on air…not really, but they are darn close!

We rode across the border and spent the afternoon in a park that sits along the Rhine river.  At some point during our 2+ hours there, we happened upon a conversation about how large my ears are.  Haven't noticed?  Well, they apparently are HUGE…yes, I have been told by more than a couple of people that they are, so it must be so.

I happened to see a large leaf laying on the ground.  I took out my diamond hoop earring so that David could use it to measure my ear.  Then, I used it to measure HIS ear.  The result?  My ear, that is attached to my much smaller head, is the exact same size as his.  Bummer, the leaf analysis confirmed my "large ear" diagnosis.

It was time to head home and get ready for dinner.  After I showered and was drying my hair I noticed that I only had one of my earrings in my overly large ears.  Oh no!  After the Leaf Analysis I had forgotten to put my earring back in!  RATS!

David had just settled in to watch France play in the FIBA World Cup (Basketball) and was not optimistic about our odds on finding the earring in a HUGE grassy park. We only had about 55 minutes of daylight left.  He was a great sport and drove me over anyway.  I threw up a Nehemiah prayer on the way over.  David was giving me a 30% chance of finding it.

We found a parking spot and headed up the knoll to the park.  As we stood at the top, I looked over where we had been sitting,  Miracurously, I could still make out the indentation of our blanket!  We walked over to the spot.  I literally stopped walking, looked down and saw my earring!!  PRAISE JESUS!  Yes, I said it aloud.  I am serious, we spent no more than 5 seconds looking in a large grassy park for my lost earring.  God is so good!  Just when it seems like all is lost, He provides.  So thankful that while I was once lost, I am now found too!

view of the park from the knoll.
Our "spot" in the park


a very blurry view of my earring…PTL

Sunday was an event with our Americans in Alsace friends.  It was a celebration in a village called Ribeauvillé.  The Pfifferdaj is an annual parade that takes place the first Sunday in September.  The Minstrels Festival is the oldest in Alsace and celebrates  the links between the lords of Ribeaupierre and the minstrels they protected.  The theme brings to life different images of Mediaeval history: peasant life, castle life, domestic or fabulous animals, buildings, travel, discovery, work, trades, beliefs, fortunes and misfortunes. 

We had great fun watching the nearly 30 floats that passed by us as we enjoyed our lunch.  I'm including several of my favorite shots from the nearly 250 photos I took that afternoon.  We did find it amusing that we heard several Rock songs from the 80's.  Who knew that we would hear a Queen song in a medieval village in the middle of France's wine region?  
The Noone's and the Carrasco's (minus Rosa who is taking the photo)

David "rocking out" to Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody


One of the many bands….yes, the streets were this crowded



So hot and sunny that the Noone's needed to buy headgear.



One more photo, don't look if you can't "bare" to be mooned.  I promise, I wasn't expecting this shot, "butt", it's the French way.




Yes, these fellows were part of the parade.  We were at the beginning, so I have no idea if they continued to flash the bystanders along the parade route. And I have no idea what they wrote on their backsides.


No comments:

Post a Comment