Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Beets for dinner

Please don't think that you will have to endure a new post each day.  I have several weeks of "memories" to catch up on, so I promise, they will eventually dwindle.

After two weeks of getting the apartment together and getting blinds installed in all of the important rooms, we were ready for the kids to arrive.  I was a little nervous because neither kid had flown on an international flight without us before.  

Our city, Strasbourg is on an eastern line from Paris and near the German border.  That means, WHEN you come to visit me, you will most likely (for cost purposes) fly into Frankfurt, Germany.  It is about a 2 hour drive to the airport.  David doesn't mind because he gets to drive on the Autobahn.  Yes, my husband likes to drive fast too.

Back to the kids.  They arrived on the Saturday 6:15 AM flight from Indianapolis via Philly.  The company was paying for their flight and because it was an international one, they were able to fly business class.  (On an international flight, that is first class)  DJ's first words to us were "I guess Fergie was right, they do serve champagne in first class".  And so our adventure began.

In Europe, most people drive small cars.  Parking can be difficult and an SUV just doesn't work.  We drive a 4 door sedan...a really nice one.  It's so nice that my farm animal husband tries to keep it clean.  Because it's a sedan, there isn't a lot of room for luggage.  Both kids were toting essential things that I didn't have room for in my luggage two weeks prior.....Lipton Cold Brew Tea, Skyline chili, Cream of Celery soup, Oxy pads, etc., so they had HUGE suitcases and DJ had his golf clubs.

I was kind and let the kid who is nearly 6'4" tall sit in MY seat up front.  Sarah and I were crammed on one half of the back seat because we had to put the other side of the back seat down to fit in the golf clubs.  Let's just say after a two hour ride on one butt cheek, I was ready to get out of the car.  

DJ and Sarah were absolute troopers while they were here.  They got up and went to church with us that first Sunday.  It was a "picnic after service" day, so they even went to that.  If you think being introduced to a whole group of new people that speak English is intimidating, try meeting a church full of French and German people, then throw in a picnic.  Sarah and I were left to socialize with the women and children while David and DJ played "American football" with the men.  Somehow, both of my boys wound up being the QBs for their team...yes, they split the Americans up.

David arrived in Strasbourg in October of 2012.  He was blessed to have met many people who invited the "married bachelor" over for dinner and socializing.  Some, several times.  These kind people wanted to meet the REST of his family, so we attended several dinners while DJ and Sarah were here.

Our first dinner was a BBQ at one of David's co-workers, Manu.  David happens to also play basketball with Manu on Thursday nights with the company team.  Manu, his wife Sophie and their son Mael (8 yrs old) own a house with a garden.  That's what the French call our American "yard".  Manu is an excellent cook.  We had delicious shish kebabs of steak, chicken and duck.  I brought "Pug's Potatoes"....my standard potato dish.  I'll tell you in another post about finding "cheddar cheese" here in France.



The meal and fellowship were awesome.  Both kids enjoyed themselves.  It helped that both Manu and Sophie, along with being excellent hosts, speak very good English.  They actually were on a 6 month work assignment in Indianapolis about the same time that we moved there with Lilly.

Next dinner engagement was with a wonderful couple from our church, Trinity International Church of Strasbourg. (TICOS)  I had eaten at this couple's house when I came to Strasbourg to find our apartment in March and David had been invited over about once a month.  Evodia is a greek woman in her late 60s and her husband Phillipe is French and mid-70's.





Having been to dinner at their house many times, David had talked about what a great cook Evodia was.  DJ and Sarah had met her at church, and they both speak English.  Nothing to worry about, right? WRONG.  

We were 4 of 7 guests that evening.  A charming French couple and a lovely orthopedic surgeon from Greece were also joining us.  After a brief time of introductions and the customary "aperitif", we were seated at the lovely and formally appointed dinner table.

Opening course....you guessed it, BEETS.  Ok, I just need to give you some background here.  I grew up in Dayton, Ky.  My mom grew up in Newport, Ky.  She was a city girl.  I never even SAW broccoli until I was out of my parents house and on my own.  I don't think that I started cooking broccoli until I was 23.  My childhood veggies consisted of corn, potatoes, green beans and peas.  (I HATE peas)  Back to dinner.....

On our plates were beets, 3 shrimp, an hard boiled egg, pinkie sized zucchini, faux crab meat and tzatziki. (Tzatziki is a greek dish that is made with Greek yogurt, cucumber, lemon, garlic and fresh dill)  Let me just give a HUGE shout-out to my sister-in-law Gale for making tzatziki for family gatherings....if not for her, DJ and I would have folded at the sight of this plate. 

DJ was seated to my right and Sarah was to his right and the hostess' left.  I ever so cautiously whispered to DJ to use the tzatziki as a "sauce" to get the beets down and to eat those first.  He was a CHAMP!!  It's hard to make polite conversation when you are eating something that tastes and looks like sliced play doh, but we did it.  After he and I had totally cleaned our plates, I had occasion to look over at Sarah's plate.  Not only did she not "suck-it-up" and clean her plate, she hadn't even taken ONE bite of the beets!  She just moved them around on her plate.  What a weenie!

The second course contained rice stuffed peppers, tomatoes and eggplant and were quite tasty.  We found out in subsequent conversation that this was a traditional Greek dinner and that our surgeon guest didn't eat meat after 5:00 in the evening.  

David was very worried that I would offend Evodia and Phillipe with this post.  It is not in any way a reflection of her cooking.  As I mentioned, this was a traditional Greek meal.  They are a wonderful couple and I count Evodia as a dear friend. This is simply a reflection of my blogs name.... a Kentucky girl living in France.... who had never put a beet to her lips before. 

That's all for today.  May God's peace rest on you as you venture about your day.  Much love.



1 comment:

  1. I love your writings!!! I feel like I am there with you! Thank you, thank you!! I love your endings! Pointing straight back to the Lord! You wonder why I miss you!!!!! Keep it up girl! I look so forward to these as I know many do!!!!!

    ReplyDelete