Monday, September 23, 2013

Better Late Than Never

Well, it's 3 weeks late, but you know what they say…."better late than never".

I'm going to start blogging about my time here in France.  An American in Alsace…just FYI, there is an organization by that name…I know, because I joined it in an effort to get/stay connected.

I'm not sure where to start and will probably ramble most of the time, but hey, if I don't capture some of the memories as they happen, what will I forget to tell my family when I come home? Yes home, because Strasbourg definitely is NOT home. Don't get me wrong, it's a great city.  If my friends and family could be here too it would be AWESOME!!

My first few weeks here teemed with self pity and loneliness.  David tried, but nothing can replace the liberty of walking out your front door and having a conversation with anyone you bump into….literally, anyone.  Not having to formulate a thought in your brain and then trying to translate the words into another language, just BOOM, speak what pops into your head.  It didn't help that my hubby is extremely dedicated to his job and wants to do things "right".  That meant long hours by myself every day. (This was June and the kids hadn't arrived yet)

Fortunately, I live with a pig.  I love him and he's MY FARM ANIMAL, but he's a pig none the less.  I spent entire days scrubbing the tile grout in my kitchen and in the bathrooms.  Fortunately, those days were rainy and sub 60 degrees, so being inside was ok. Did I mention that this was in SUMMER??  Sub 60?  Are you kidding me? There was also the unpacking of "stuff" that he hadn't gotten to…all with the excuse of "I didn't know where you would want it to go". That turned out ok because it gave me something to do.  Build shelving units, put sheets on the beds, organize the cupboards, you get the idea.

Once the floors were clean and the "stuff" was put in place, then I could start shopping….oh wait, language barrier.  I bet you have never gone over words/phrases in your "French for dummies" book before you went to your local hardware store to buy blinds!  Why were the blinds so important? Well, because there were workers, 5 floors up, refinishing our building (new windows, roof, etc) and when I woke up in my nice comfy bed, often one of them was looking in my window and could see me asleep!  Blinds became a priority!

Fast forward.  David takes me out for dinner, often, because he knows what makes me happy.  Not cooking, just in case you don't know me very well…actually, that's probably not true.  I do like to cook.  I hate the clean up and absolutely DETEST the meal planning.  If he or my children would say, "hey let's have a prime rib roast, asparagus, baked potato and homemade cheesecake for dessert", okay.  However, for me to think about what I will want to prepare for dinner in 6-8 hours SUCKS.  Anyway, back to dinner out.  If you haven't been in a foreign country where English is NOT on the menu, you haven't been stretched yet.  Couple that with being in a region of France that is half German and you have my nightmare.  My mother-in-love and David's sisters can attest to the fact that I HATE sauerkraut (Charcoute, here in France).  Imagine going to my first restaurant and that is the side dish for half of the menu!  I was able to order chicken in a Reisling wine sauce as my meal and it was pretty tasty. 

Oh, did you know that I am a tea drinker?  I only mention this because the next thing you need to worry about when you go out to eat (or maybe the first thing for some) is what you will drink.  I'm picky.  I admit it.  I don't like carbonated drinks, I don't like beer and I don't like wine.  What's left?  Water.  Well, do you like it WITH gas or SANS gas?  How do you feel about paying $6 a bottle?  While my husband is enjoying his $5 beer, I am savoring a $6 water (with no ice).  The next time you are at Applebee's, drink two waters/lemon for me!!

Remember, I'm rambling.  Sorry about that!  I just realized that most of this sounds BAD.  While it may be uncomfortable, I firmly believe that God is using this time in my life to not only "stretch me" but to also draw me closer to Him.  I have been faithful in my devotion time and have definitely spent more time in prayer while I've been here.  That is HUGE.  It's easy to put God on the back burner when you HAVE to run to Macy's to pick up something and then go to grab a bite of lunch with so-and-so.  Then it's time for the kids to get home from school or to get to the next sporting event.  Then it's time for dinner and I can't miss the next episode of Survivor….you get the idea.  It's nice to have real "quiet time".

That's my first entry.  Hope that you won't judge my grammar too harshly.  Tune in next time to hear about our "beets for dinner" episode while DJ and Sarah were here. Love to you all and may you rest in the knowledge of God's love and His rich blessings.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Teresa, I completely understand what you're going through. I'm fortunate enough that I can still have a simple conversation with just about anyone, but I totally understand. When I visited Paris, I hated it! I was there for a weekend, but I NEVER want to go back. For people who've never LIVED (not visited) outside of the country, they really have no clue. I'm pretty sure that France does get a bit warmer than England, but we're very lucky to get 3 weeks of summerish weather a year. You'll find that sweaters or sweatshirts will become a staple of your wardrobe. You might get to wear shorts or a dress a few times a year. My oldest daughter actually likes "fizzy water" (that's what they call it here), I HATE it. I've found that you can order tap water and not have to pay the €4 per bottle. I'm a camel, so I drink lots and lots. In the past when we've gone out, I've just asked for a pitcher of water. It saves time from the servers (I've yet to have one that actually serves like a waiter should) and you're not paying $20 for some water by the end of your meal. As time goes by, you'll find somewhere you really enjoy. You've got Europe in your backyard, don't be afraid to get out and explore it. (I'm not sure if you speak Spanish or not; for some reason I think you do. Anyway, A LOT of Europeans speak Spanish and you might find that it's easier to converse (especially at markets) that way. You might also get better treatment or service, since the vendor may not think you're American. Lol. I know it's horrible, but it's really, really true.) We will be here for another 10 months or so, and you're more than welcome to come over for a bit if you need a bit of normalcy. (At the bigger base here, there's a Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Baskin Robbins, Burger King, and Charley's. So if you're in a need for some American food, or just need to see a familiar face send me a message. :) Time will fly and before you know it, you'll be heading home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love! Tell me you were a writer in Kentucky before I knew you and this is not the first time you have put words to your journey? Can you say gift!!! Love and miss you! However, when my computer is open and your words are on my kitchen table I feel like you are here!

    ReplyDelete