Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Celebrity status

Back home, we have a very close friend who is a news anchor on the local NBC affiliate.  It is rare that while out in public with he and his wife that he is not approached by an "adoring fan". He is awesome....always taking the time to chat briefly with the viewer and making sure that they know he appreciates that they tune in and watch. He is being genuine, which is why we love him, but we tease him about his "celebrity status" all the time.

Growing up in a small town (<10k people), going to a small high school (I graduated with 67 other people) and having an odd last name makes you semi recognizable.  I knew that if I did something that I wasn't supposed to do, likely, my parents would find out about it from someone. Living in a large city/community, the opportunity to run into someone you know is less of a possibility.

Strasbourg is a decent sized city....450,000 residents of which I know approximately 30 on a first name basis.  (4 of which have now moved back to the states, so make that 26)  You would think that I would rarely meet someone by chance that I know.  You would be correct.  My husband, however, is a different story.

He runs a manufacturing plant that employs about 1600 people.  Beside the "city of Strasbourg", Lilly France is the largest employer in the Alsace region.  When Lilly makes any kind of announcement, David's face is on the news and in the local paper. That has happened several times in the last two months. Many Sundays people at church will approach him and say that they saw him in the media the week before.

This makes scooting around town in grungy attire as a couple somewhat challenging. Going out for an early Saturday morning walk without makeup and a pony tail could be dangerous and normally I could not care any less.  However, I am apparently married to a "celebrity" of sorts. Je suis la femme du director.  (I am the director's wife) Being introduced to someone I may meet only once looking like I just rolled out of bed is not the first impression I want to make.

Two weeks ago, we participated in a 5k walk/run to raise money for Breast Cancer.  There were over 10k participants in an event that started at 8:30 PM.  Lilly was an event sponsor. While we were waiting for the race to start David had 3 different people (unknown to him) ask if they could have a picture taken with him.  I almost laughed....instead, being the "Good Wife", I offered to take the photos.




The next afternoon we attended a professional basketball game for the local French team, Le Sig.  At halftime, we were at the concession stand getting a drink and a "knack" (hotdog) and the man helping us looked at David strangely and finally said, "I know you, you were just on the news. You work for Lilly."

My husband has learned from the best.  (Thank you SS for always modeling this for us) He graciously gives these people his full attention and tries to make polite conversation.  As they know him and he typically has no idea who they are, he will automatically introduce me as his wife.  I take this opportunity to say, "Enchante, (delighted) my name is Teresa and you are?"  Again, the "Good Wife" saves the day and now "Le Director" knows who the heck he is talking to.

Because he is recognizable, I must be on my best behavior  and yes, that's not always easy, especially for me.  (Just ask my sisters-in-law or my mother-in-law about Black Friday shopping stories)  Take for instance the Breast Cancer event.  While awaiting the official start to the race we were amongst 10k pumped up runners/walkers.  People kept pushing forward to the start line.  There were 5 ladies (in their early 60s) who were behind me who kept pushing me.  I'm not talking a nudge.  They were full-on PUSHING me in the back.  I was holding my ground and trying to keep a smile on my face.  I was, after all, with the "director".  Finally, I could keep silent no longer.  My patience had run out. "BASTANTE!" I turned and said to them.  Unfortunately, in my moment of lost temper, I had said "ENOUGH/STOP IT", but in Spanish.  These French women had no idea what I had said and just kept pushing ahead.  (My sweet revenge was passing them up once the crowd thinned out)

I am happy to report that my "corporate wife hat" stays on the majority of the time.  My husband can trust that I will represent both he and Lilly in a good light. But visitors beware....we may get stopped while you are here, be sure to have your hair brushed and your makeup on. (SS, you can come and be a "nobody" for a change)

God's blessings on you as you go on about your day....








No comments:

Post a Comment