Friday, October 11, 2013

Paper plates vs China and Silver

It's a gray day here in Strasbourg.  43 degrees and gray.  It's definitely a "stay inside" day for me.  One of the things that I do everyday here is check the forecast before I even get out of my bed.  (Thanks iPhone!)  Not only do I check the weather here, but I check the weather at "home".  Today, the high in Strasbourg will be 52 and the high in Fishers, Indiana will be 77.  Ouch, that makes me hurt a little bit. My husband promises me that the winter will not be as cold as it is in the Midwest....I'm not holding my breath, but will let you all know.

Tonight, at 8:30 PM hubby and I will in participate in a Breast Cancer walk/run. Yes, I said PM.  David has run in several half marathons and even a full marathon.  I have never put on my pajamas to watch him compete. I am not sure why it's being held so late on a Friday night, but hey, it's France, so just roll with it.

I'm not "feeling" the blog today.  I didn't have an instant thought on what I would talk about.  Don't get me wrong, there are still lots of things to fill you in on, just not one topic that is screaming "pick me" today. So, I think this one will be a lesson on Formal Dinners.  Don't leave me.....it'll be interesting, I promise!

When I grew up my mom cooked and my sister, Tina and I were the "clean up" squad.  We had to clear the table and wash/dry the dishes....yes, the OLD FASHIONED way without an electric dishwasher.  Consequently, if my mom wanted to serve our dinner for the evening on paper plates I was thrilled.

When I was a freshman at good old Dayton High School I took Home Economics.  I liked it and our teacher, Mrs. Bradley so much that I took Home Ec II and even was involved in the Future Homemakers of America club.  Little did I know that all I had learned would come in handy.

I remember learning to use dry/liquid measuring cups/spoons, making pie crusts from scratch and how to set a "proper" dinner table. I never had an opportunity to set the table at home while using paper plates, but at least I had the knowledge.

Fast forward to my own home in my 20's.  Now I was responsible for the cooking and cleaning.  I did have an electric dishwasher, but still, you have to load and unload it.  I never set our dining room table with the "full-on" place settings of china and good silver.  We used Tupperware plates most of the time, unless I was serving steak....then we would use "real plates" so that the knives didn't mark up the Tupperware. (In case you didn't know, I sold Tupperware for about 10 years....LOVED IT!)

I can remember one of the first casual dinners we hosted in Fishers.  We had grilled Blue cheese stuffed burgers and I was using my favorite Tupperware plates.  The husband (who shall remain nameless) actually asked if he could have a "real" plate.  Woah!  We weren't in Kentucky anymore.

Strasbourg, 2013.  We were hosting a Sunday lunch for a couple that had been kind enough to feed David many times while he was a France bachelor.  I had made a delicious veal/spinach stuffed tufoli the day before and had put it in the oven as soon as we arrived home from church.

While setting our "formal" table, I realized that I had forgotten my "real" napkins and place mats in Indiana.  Yes, I have some, but obviously, they weren't used often if I forgot to pack them.  Fortunately, my dear friend, Lisa had given me some "paper" ones that had an "S" monogram on them.  They would do.  It was, after all, just a nice couple from church for lunch.

Wow, a formal table uses a lot of dishes.  You have a wine glass, a water glass, a coffee cup/saucer, a dinner plate, a salad plate/bowl, a dessert plate, a cheese plate and don't forget all of the flatware !! The table was FULL and our china cabinet was EMPTY.  I will not be able to serve more than 8 people, so visit in 6's please.

I believe that the French hostess is exhausted and actually loses calories during a dinner.  She has to get up and serve each course and clear the plates as they are complete. We served a delicious "12" course meal (at least that's what it felt like) and I was ready to be done.  It was Sunday and the Colts game was going to be starting soon compliments of our Slingbox 500.

It was at that point in the afternoon that I was going to be given my "lesson" on proper FRENCH dinners.  She was very kind in her delivery, but it was a scolding none-the-less.

  • NEVER use paper napkins.  It is rude.  She had some old ones that she could lend me until I could buy some.
  • ALWAYS serve at least two different wines during the meal.  One with dinner and one with dessert (A third stemware is needed if I serve white and red wine)
  • I had apparently used the incorrect knives for the cheese course
I hate scoldings.  My husband will tell you that I am NEVER wrong....at least that's the way I see it, so you can imagine how much I liked nodding politely and thanking her for her help with my culture and etiquette lesson.


Invite someone to dinner this weekend and use paper napkins on my behalf.  Wishing you a joy filled day. 


1 comment:

  1. Aren't you glad you still have friends that will drink expensive champagne in mini dixie cups! Don't buy your napkins yet!! We are going to go to Le Jacquard Francais showroom 31 Rue Voltaire 92800 Puteux France!!! Their fabrics are exquisite!!!! I promise it will go with your "look" and you will love them! And then you can laugh under your breath through every dinner at all of the ways your old friends break all of the rules on etiquette! Love the story!!!

    ReplyDelete